Saturday, October 11, 2008

An Imperishable Inheritance

This past week has particularly driven home the point that the silver and gold of this world is a perishable item. Most of the items we buy at the super market provide a date beyond which a particular item may be of questionable use. As the stock market lost nearly 1800 points this week we are reminded that perhaps our silver and gold, 401k’s, IRA,s also have a perishable date or a date of diminished value.

I sent the following e-mail to a friend this week:

"I took what little money I had in the stock market in my IRA and converted from stocks to a money market fund. What this means is that the market was just waiting for me to take my little hit and get out. Now the market can recover fine. I think I may have been like Jonah on the boat to Tarshish...now that they threw me overboard there will be smooth sailing for the rest of you. Buy, buy, buy! I have been swallowed by the big fish."

His reply: "I wish you had done that a month ago, Jonah.....we’d all been better off!"

The market seemed to react as though the world was coming to an end. I heard one wag on TV say that "the world seldom comes to an end...so just sit tight"

Peter reminds us that we have a pipeline to the true riches. "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." (I Pet 1:3-5)

We can truly give thanks to our great God and Savior, even in times like these, that we were "not redeemed by corruptible things...but by the precious blood of Christ." This is the "Imperishable Inheritance", that fadeth not away..reserved in heaven for you!

No comments: