Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now...?

If you haven’t had the pleasure OR misfortune of reading this public restroom "urban legend", here it is once again for your entertainment:

I had barely sat down when I heard a voice from the other bathroom stall saying, "How are you?" I don't know what got into me, but I answered, somewhat embarrassed, "Doin' just fine." And the other person said, "So what are you up to?" (What kind of a question is that?)

At that point, I was thinking, "This is too bizarre," so I said, "Uh, I'm like you - just traveling." At this point I was just trying to get out as fast as I could when I heard another question. "Can I come over?" O.K., this question was just too weird for me, but I figured I could just be polite and end the conversation. I answered: "No. I'm a little busy right now."


Then I heard the person say, nervously: "Listen, I'll have to call you back. There's an idiot in the next stall who keeps answering all my questions."

Such are the makings of the vignettes in our modern "cell-phone" age. Larry Dixon, Professor of Theology at Columbia Biblical Seminary & School of Missions, has come up with a unique idea for utilizing the cell-phone for evangelization. Here’s what he offers:

"We can turn this contemporary phenomenon of cultural impoliteness to the Kingdom’s advantage! We can get our own wired thingies, plug them into our ears, and carry on strategic, scripted conversations in public. But – and here’s the really brilliant idea – we can pretend to be speaking with someone on the other end of the line, but actually be witnessing to the nearest PICV ("Person in Cell phone Vicinity"). And we don’t even have to have a contract with a cellular company. The wired thingy doesn’t have to really work!

You find yourself standing in line in the local post office. Your conversation goes something like this:

"Yes, my dear, I understand your objection. But the Good News about Jesus Christ is really simple. It’s as simple as A-B-C. ‘A’ stands for the fact that you must accept Jesus Christ as your Savior. ‘B’ indicates that you must believe that He died for you. And ‘C’ refers to the fact that you must confess your sins to Him and ask Him into your heart. Yes, I know, Dear. I know you’ve seen some hypocrites in churches. But you’ll never find any fault with Jesus . . ."

Read the full article: Celling—the Gospel

No comments: